BERRIBIGGER, BETTER, BERRI
230km NE Of Adelaide With A Population Of Approx 8000
The name Berri is taken from the Aboriginal “bery bery” meaning “bend in the river”. This popular riverside town and its surrounds host a number of big attractions. Climb the water tower lookout in Berri for a different view of the river. Inspect the mural under the bridge that depicts the Aboriginal heritage of the area and visit the monument that stands in tribute to Australia’s famous Aboriginal tracker, Jimmy James. Walk the meandering two-kilometre riverfront walk from Berri to the popular recreational and camping reserve at Martins Bend, where you can sit back and relax. Berri is the retail centre of the Riverland having the Riverland Plaza which has just undergone a major extension. Local produce outlets with notable names such as Angas Park and Berri Direct are located on the outskirts of the town, including Berri Estates, the largest winery and distillery in Australia and Cobb Webb Leadlight Studio. A number of restaurants, cafes and eateries are spread throughout the town. Accommodation in the Berri area includes a country club, motels, hotel, houseboats, bed and breadfasts, a riverside caravan park and a back packer hostel. Alternatively, pitch a tent at any of the numerous locations along the river, including the Murray River National Park.
Monash was proclaimed in 1921 and named after General Sir John Monash, a World War 1 army commander. Monash with approx population of 700 is home to one of South Australia’s favourite family destinations – amazing, wacky and free Monash Adventure Park. Six kilometres northwest of Berri, it’s a great place for young families, with a maze, leaning climbing towers and other fun stuff, and with free barbecues and shady trees. Opposite the Park are a chocolate factory and a community club for bistro-style dining. Monash also offers a general store and butcher. A short drive down the road you can visit the new cellar door of Tandou Wines.
A scenic drive west of Berri, past roadside fruit sellers and the enormous Berri Estates Winery leads to Glossop, a small town with a strong sense of community. The town was named after Vice Admiral J.C. Glossop, Commander of HMAS Sydney that sank the German raider Emden during World War 1. An anchor situated out the front of the motel is a memorial to this commander. Glossop has approx population of 600.
Lyrup (accessible from the north side of the river by ferry) was one of 12 village settlements in the state established by the South Australian Government in 1894 to create a communal land system. It’s now the only Riverland settlement that still operates this way and offers a community club, general store and a shady riverbank for picnics.
Winkie with approx population of 750 was originally part of Cobdogla Station, this locality was marked on early maps as Wink Wink Paddock. The name may mean "river flats". The area was surveyed and channelled during 1913-22 as part of the Berri Irrigation Area. It was extended for soldier settlement after World War 1. In the 1950’s there were plans to establish a residential township area. This did not eventuate, however it is a sought-after area for out-of-town living.